Columbus Campervans hire is subjected to the rental agreement including the Company Terms and Conditions as stated below. In making the rental the hirer is accepting our Terms and Conditions. You acknowledge that the campervan is owned by Columbus Campervans and that any attempted transfer or sub-letting of our campervan by anyone other than us is prohibited and a criminal offence.
1.0 Booking & Deposits
Bookings are made through Columbus Campervan’s website via email or telephone.
On booking a non-refundable deposit is taken to secure your campervan.
For a weekend and midweek hire we require £75 and for a full week or longer then it will be £150.
Final payment must be paid and cleared 4 weeks (28 days) before hire date. If hire is purchased within 4 weeks (28 days) full payment is required on the date of booking.
Confirmation of booking along with invoice will be emailed or posted once deposit and final payment has been received and cleared.
Terms and conditions (this page) are to be signed and posted to us. Alternatively please email us stating you have agreed to these online terms and conditions.
An insurance form will also need to be completed and returned.
We will contact you a week before hire commences to arrange a time collect with directions and any questions you might have.
2.0 Costs & Payments
The cost of your rental will be confirmed via email by Columbus Campervans. There are additional costs for the following:-
- Additional drivers
- Non-UK licences
- Rental of additional equipment
You are welcome to pay your deposit via cheque, bank transfer or credit or debit card or Paypal. There is a small additional handling charge for paying online via credit or debit card or Paypal.
We use Paypal’s secure encrypted payment platform for all online payments. You do not need a Paypal account. We will send you an invoice via email which you pay with your card or via Paypal. We do not store customers’ credit card details. If you pay online then your payment will be processed by Paypal’s secure encrypted system which means that we never even see your credit or debit card details.
3.0 Security Deposit
At the start of the hire a security deposit of £500 will be taken upfront (in cleared funds). However in the event of vehicle damage a further £250 will be paid by the hirer to cover our total insurance excess of £750.
This deposit is to cover any loss or damage to the vehicle, the fixtures and fittings and the equipment included in the rental.
This can be pre-authorisation of a debit or credit card or by bank transfer. A pre-authorisation will be cancelled or the bank transfer refunded on return of the hired van in the same conditions that it was collected.
In the event of any damage to either the vehicle or third party property, you will be liable up to this amount (£750). You will also be fully liable for replacement or repair of windows, tyres and loss of keys.
The security deposit will be refunded upon return of the vehicle under the following conditions:
- In a fit and proper state, subject to a satisfactory inspection by Columbus.
- van returned with the same amount of petrol that was in it when it was collected
- the van must be returned within the stated time. It would be unfair to be late for the next hirer. Note that the van is not insured outside the contract of hire.
The refund may take up to 5 days from the end of the hire period to clear in your account.
If any damage occurs, costs for any repair, replacement or special cleaning will deducted from this security deposit before the balance is returned to you.
In the event that there is a claim we reserve the right to retain the security deposit for a longer period as is necessary to quantify the charges incurred which are to be deducted from the deposit.
The security deposit will be used towards funding any loss or damage to equipment, fixtures and fittings or negligent damage to the vehicle.
Where charges are incurred which result in your security deposit being debited we will provide you with an itemised invoice detailing the charges incurred by you.
With these Terms and conditions you authorise us to deduct from the security bond any amount due to the agreed statement as above. If the security deposit is insufficient to cover the costs you will pay the additional amount due.
In the event of a problem please contact James at Columbus Campervans on 07504 980321
4.0 Campervan Collection
Pick up is from 14:30 on the date and time arranged. Late or early pick up may be available, you will need to contact us to arrange in advance.
The campervan is to be returned by 10.00am on the day of return unless a different time has been pre-arranged.
Please allow approximately an hour for handover. We will show you around the camper, demonstrate the camper, sort out insurance and documentation (including vehicle condition check and occupants details), along with answering any queries you may have and transferring luggage. Please allow the same on your return.
We will need to see the driving license and 2 recent utility bills (no more than 2 months old) showing the same address for each driver (see below). Original documents must be presented.
On collection the campervan will have a full tank of fuel.
Your car is left outside our property for the duration of the hire (off road parking). We provide one parking space for one car. Parking shall be entirely at the hirer’s own risk and must be covered by the hirer’s own insurance.
Alternatively, we can pick you up from Swansea or Llanelli Train Station for a small charge
5.0 Campervan Return
Vehicles must be returned clean and in the same condition as they leave, allowing for fair wear and tear, otherwise a charge will be made.
The vehicle must be returned on the date, and at or before the time stated on the hire agreement. If you will be late returning, you must contact us immediately via telephone.
Note: the campervan is not insured outside the contract of hire and failure to advise may result in prosecution for driving whilst uninsured. An additional charge of up to £45 per hour will be payable for all late returns.
Our Campervan is to be returned at the agreed time and location in the same condition as it went out i.e. clean, in a road worthy condition and with a full tank of unleaded fuel.
Near Petrol Stations:
Esso Cross service station – Penllergear SA4 9AQ
South View Garage – Gorseinon SA4 4DQ
Tesco Service Station – Gowerton SA4 3EZ
Asda superstore – Gorseinon SA4 4BZ (Card payment only)
Shell service station – Pontarddulais SA4 8TH
Tesco Superstore – Pontarddulais SA4 8TB
If the Camper is not returned with a full tank of unleaded fuel there will be an additional charge of £20 plus the cost of the petrol will be deducted from the security deposit.
If the camper is not satisfactory clean including cooker, utensils, interior and awning there will be a cleaning charge.
Any defects, damage or loss need to be reported immediately.
The security deposit will be returned in full within 5 days, after a thorough inspection of the camper. This is providing the van is returned on time, undamaged, with a complete inventory, satisfactory clean interior & equipment and a full tank of unleaded fuel as supplied.
In the event that there is a claim we reserve the right to retain the security deposit for a longer period as is necessary to quantify the charges incurred which are to be deducted from the deposit honestly and fairly.
6.0 Insurance & Drivers
Campervans shall be driven only by the Hirer or other permitted driver that have completed and signed the Rental Agreement form prior to hire.
- Drivers must be aged between 25-70.
- Must have had a valid UK licence held for over 24 months.
- Non-UK licences by prior agreement
- Drivers must not have more than 6 points for minor offences.
- Drivers must not have had more than one accident in the last 3 years.
- Drivers must not have had insurance refused or declined.
All drivers must be present at time of hire.
For each driver we will require:-
- Drivers Licence (plastic and paper copy please)
- Proof of address – two household bills with current address dated within the last 3 months.
If you have convicted motoring offences there may be an additional charge due to our insurer’s Terms & Conditions so please let us know in advance of collecting the vehicle.
If you have had an accident please inform us for insurance reasons as there may be added costs.
Note an online DVLA check will be carried out to see any endorsements on your license. Any endorsements not disclosed will render the insurance void, the vehicle will not be hired to you and the hire charge will not be refunded.
Please note that the following are NOT covered by our insurance and therefore you will need to pay the full costs in these circumstances:-
- Use of incorrect fuel (Unleaded only please)
- Fire Damage. If a fire occurs the Hirer will need to pay 25% of the costs of the damage to the van and contents and the remaining 75% will be covered by insurance.
- Damage caused by submersion in water
- Damage, theft or loss of personal belongings
- Loss of vehicle keys
7.0 Insurance Excess
The Hirer is responsible for a standard excess of £750 in case of accidental damage, fire, theft or third party damage. At the start of the hire £500 will be taken upfront. In the event of campervan damage further £250 will be paid by the hire to cover the excess of £750.
8.0 Additional Insurance Charges (at Insurers discretion)
We arrange bespoke insurance for each customer. Our insurers reserve the right to request a higher insurance premium for the following Drivers and circumstances. In the event of a higher premium being required we will pass the additional cost to the Hirer.
- Drivers with no-UK passports i.e. EU, USA, Canada and NZ
- Younger and inexperienced drivers (aged between 23 and 25)
- More than 6 penalty points on licence.
9.0 Travel Insurance
Our insurance only covers the campervan and equipment provided with the vehicle. The Hirer is responsible for their own Personal Travel Insurance to cover personal items and personal injury.
10.0 Geographical Area
The Campervans must not be taken outside of the UK. Columbus Campervans prefer that the van is kept within South West Wales and surrounding counties.
11.0 Fines, Penalties & Accidents
Any fines or fixed penalties incurred are the sole responsibility of the Hirer. Details of the Driver(s) will be forwarded to the Police or any other legal authority if requested.
If unfortunately an accident were to happen, the Hirer must get as many details as possible including:-
- Third parties’ names
- Telephone numbers
- Vehicle make and model
- Registration numbers
- Insurance company and policy number
- Witness Name and Address
A diagram and photographs of accident scene will always help a claim.
Do not accept liability. If in any doubt, don’t hesitate to call the police to attend the scene. In this case, note down the incident number.
No refund will be given once the balance has been paid unless we can re-hire the campervan where a partial refund may be given.
- More than 4 weeks before hire: booking deposit
- 4 -2 weeks before collection: 50% of total hire charge
- 2 weeks before collection: 100% of total hire charge
Please make sure you have appropriate holiday insurance to cover any eventualities. There will be no refund in the event of early return due to illness, accident, theft. (Excluding breakdown that is not the fault of the hirer)
In the unlikely event of breakdown where the van cannot be repaired for use, every effort will be made to provide a similar van, if this is not possible a full or partial refund of hire will be given.
We cannot accept responsibility for missed functions due to vehicle breakdown.
Columbus Campervans cannot be held responsible for adverse weather conditions affecting any hire.
13.0 Hirers’ Responsibilities
Using the Camper Van
- must not leave keys in the ignition or in view when not attended to prevent theft
must ensure the van is locked and secure whenever it is left unattended
- will be responsible for loss of keys
- will be responsible for using the correct fuel (unleaded petrol) and will incur any costs to rectify if the wrong fuel is used
- is liable for replacing any tyres that are punctured or damaged during the hire period
- is responsible for not driving under the influence of alcohol and or drugs according to the law
- must not submerge the van in water
- Theft of the van or equipment must be reported to the police and Columbus Campervans immediately.
Responsibility and Maintenance
- Hirer must stop and react to any dash warning lights.
- Please check oil levels during daily drives.
- Seat belts are fitted and must be used.
- Campervans must be driven only by the persons authorised by Columbus Campervans in a safe manner under the Highway Code and Road Safety guidance.
- Unleaded fuel only to be used.
- No Pets unless agreed before hire, charged at £25 per rental.
- No Smoking or candles inside the Campervans or Awnings.
- The number of passengers is limited to the seatbelt capacity of the van as stated.
- The van shall not be taken outside of the United Kingdom.
- When unattended the campervan must have all doors locked with the radio face removed and out of sight, along with customer valuables.
- No driving on breaches
- If the camping gas runs out during the hire replace with a the same size bottle (Camping Gaz 907 2.75kg butane). Keep the receipt and we reimburse the cost of 1 bottle only.
14.0 Breakdown and Recovery
When on hire please let us know as soon as possible in the event of a breakdown. Please contact James 07504 980321
- In the unfortunate event of a breakdown the hirer is authorised to spend up to £50 on any minor parts/ urgent repairs to continue its journey. (Keep receipts for work or parts for reimbursement).
- AA Breakdown assistance, Recovery, Relay and Stay Mobile is provided with contact details provided in the van.
- If you suspect there is an issue with the van, or if any dash warning lights illuminate, STOP immediately, and if necessary call the AA.
- During a puncture or blowout a spare wheel jack is provided as well as a jack. The wheel bolts must be tightened when refitting. We accept no responsibility for customers fitting the spare wheel incorrectly.
- Please check oil levels during daily drives.
15.0 Liability Disclaimer
Columbus Campervans reserve the right to substitute an alternative VW campervan to the original one booked should this one become unavailable for reasons beyond our control.
The entire liability of Columbus Campervans for any claim shall not exceed the price of the products or services supplied by Columbus Campervans. Every effort has been made to ensure that this website is free from any computer viruses or similar. However Columbus Campervans or their agents cannot be held responsible for any damage or loss incurred by using this website.
In no event will Columbus Campervans, their employees, contractors, suppliers, agents, affiliates, website designer, web host or assigns be liable to ANY party for any indirect or direct or consequential or incidental costs arising out of or in connection with this agreement, web content or website links.
16.0 Third Party Links
Columbus Campervans are not be responsible nor liable for your use of any other websites which may be accessed via links within this website. Columbus Campervans are not responsible for their content. Any such links are provided as a service to users of this website and their inclusion in this website does not constitute an endorsement by Columbus Campervans.
17.0 Intellectual Property
The Columbus Campervans website, logo, content, imagery and text cannot be copied or edited without our express prior written permission. All designs are protected by copyright.
18.0 Governing Law
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Disputes arising in connection with these Terms and Conditions shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Columbus Campervans Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales. Company registration number is 09963352
Please print this off and sign it and send it to us prior to collecting your vehicle. Alternatively please email us to say you have read and agree to these conditions.
I hereby agree to the terms and conditions set by Columbus Campervans Ltd.