If you have enjoyed watching BBC’s Keeping Faith drama then you will have seen the gorgeous Welsh scenery that provided the backdrop to this iconic drama. And if you haven’t seen it yet, check it on iPlayer where it is one of the most downloaded series ever!
We have compiled a list of the filming locations in South Wales which are actually within about an hour or two’s drive so perfect for visiting on a touring holiday with Columbus Campervans! If we’ve missed out anything please leave us a comment. We’ve tried hard not to include any spoilers in this by the way. Please click the links to view the locations on Google maps.
Keeping Faith is set in the fictious village of Abercorran. The real-life location is a village called Laugharne in Carmarthenshire. It is set on a beautiful estuary with stunning views. Laugharne is also famous as Dylan Thomas’ home when he lived in the boat-house set on the river. The boat house is now a museum. Laugharne is a pretty location and well worth a visit to explore the medieval castle ruins and to enjoy the scenery along the coastal walk. There are numerous places to enjoy lunch or an evening meal and a large car park on the sea front.
Faith’s exterior house shots were filmed in Laugharne but the interior shots were filmed in a studio.
Many of the beach scenes were filmed at nearby Pendine Sands in Carmarthenshire, especially the scenes where the characters drive out on the vast sands. Pendine is 7 miles of sandy beach and it has been used in the past for car racing challenges. Malcolm Campbell was the first person to use the beach for his world land speed record attempt.
We’ve also spotted some other beautiful Welsh locations including:-
- Ogmore by Sea is used for many of Faith’s driving scenes. The beach car park is also used for other scenes in series 2 with Faith and Cerys. Ogmore by Sea is a small village with stunning sea views, adjacent sand dunes and castle ruins to explore. You can also enjoy horse riding along the river and on the beach.
- We also see Faith driving along the road to Dunraven Bay in Southerdown which is just a few minutes east of Ogmore. This privately-owned bay is open to the public. Incidentally Dunraven Bay has also been used as a filming location in Poldark. You can explore rock pools and look for fossils on it’s pebble and sand beach which is surrounded by cliffs.
- In series 1 there is a scene between Faith and the Reverend on a dramatic cliff top which we believe is Nash Point in the Vale of Glamorgan which is a short drive drive from Southerndown. Nash Point has a lighthouse with a visitor centre.
- The yacht club scenes in series 1 where Tom Howells meets his detective friend DCI Huw Parry was filmed at Barry Yacht Club
- In series 1 Arthur is on a beach promenade when someone leaves a parcel for him. This promenade is the Eastern Shelter at Barry Island’s Whitemore Bay
- Steve Baldini’s caravan was located at Porthkerry Caravan Park near Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan.
- Faith gets a tip off and she races to Tom’s Carvery – the real life location is the Grand Sultan restaurant in Margam, Port Talbot which is worth a visit for their delicious curries and friendly service.
- In series 2, Tom Howells moors his boat at Llansteffan’s estuary in Carmarthenshire, not far from Laugharne.
- In series 2, Faith and Cerys attend a client’s funeral. The church is St Illtyd’s Church in Oxwich. Oxwich Bay is beautiful and we think some of the beach scenes were filmed here too. Well worth a visit!
- We’ve also spotted Porthcawl in another beach scene in series 2 when Arthur takes the children to the beach. Porthcawl is town located on the coast with a choice of beaches, shops, harbour and funfair to explore. It’s located just a few miles west of Ogmore by Sea.
And if you want to visit some of the less picturesque locations then the police stations in Pontardawe and Cardiff have both been used for external shots. Carmarthen’s town hall has been used for court scenes and Dr Alpay’s dental surgery is located in Swansea’s SA1 marina adjacent to the Village Hotel. We’ve also spotted Port Talbot Docks and Newport Docks.
Did we miss out any locations? If so let us know!